Thursday, June 26, 2014

How many films?

I'm Jennifer and I've been a crazed cinephile since I was six years old.  I'm also a TC resident and ten year veteran of film festival.  I hope you follow me as I reminisce about my ten year affair with the TCFF.  I'm still going strong, and the Festival continues to grow and get stronger every year, so I expect the relationship will last forever (Don't we all.)

Tomorrow, Friday June 27, the schedule comes out for the 10th Anniversary Film Festival.
If you're not already squirming with excitement for this year's event, you will be when you pick up that movie program, google the website, or peruse the Record Eagle insert.

I'm old fashioned; I like to see the possibilities in print and rattle and claw my way through the pages with my own little hands. Ahh the smell of newsprint.  My newspaper delivery guy or gal almost has perfected a bullseye to my front door.  At first light, Ozzy (resident Goldendoodle) retrieves it and there you go . . . . I'm off to the movies (or at least I'm on the starting line in the selection process).

Last year there were  over 150 films to choose from.  On top of that, there are film discussion groups to attend, the morning panels to inspire you, and the mandatory people-watching downtown. This year we have some new vantage points, most notably the roof-top patio of the Franklin.  Outdoor tables at many of our restaurants, benches, parks, even leaning against a building works in a pinch.

Maddening as it is, if I can juggle my favorite choices and end up with a tight itinerary (with some time for a quick meal or two) it is sadistically satisfying.  My record is 14 films in 4 days, and a list of second-tier "must sees" that may come to the State on a blustery winter day.

Ever try to coordinate the choices of four people?  My movie-going cadre is getting better at it each year, but the process still is strangely like hose-blasting squirrels out of a tree.  You get some and you miss some. Learn to compromise, there's always Netflix.  (And for those wet, irate and pesky squirrels, stop digging in my garden--remember Groundhog Day?)

In this first post I'll mention my movie-going group because they are an important part of my festival experience.  They are in alphabetical order, Colleen, Doreen, Me, and Mike.  My dog Ozzy will be joining me downtown to meet some of the festival dogs and maybe have a chat with them.  We aim to cover all the bases.

So thanks for joining me, and keep an eye out for the paper tomorrow.  If you don't want to get out of bed, go to the TCFF website, make some coffee or tea, sit back, three . . . two . . . one . . . GO!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to all your insights! Got the paper schedule in front of me and trying to decide. My sister and I hope to see you downtown!8912

Anonymous said...

I have the paper in front of me and can't wait for your insights. Hope to see you downtown!

Trudy