Tuesday, August 5, 2014

IT'S A WRAP!

Jennifer and Doreen at the Filmmaker's Party
I last posted on Saturday, and now it's Tuesday.   My mind temporarily (I hope) shut down before it permanently seized up from TCFF overload.  So now the 10th Anniversary TCFF is over, but I'd still like to share the final highlights of Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday all four of us were able to get a spot for lunch on the rooftop deck of The Franklin. Bay breezes and lots of sun.  Then we saw the Meet the Patels at the State.  Then on to the US Premier of Life of Crime with Jennifer Aniston and Tim Robbins, based on the novel, Switch, by Elmore Leonard, the Detroit novelist and short-story writer. It was a bittersweet moment because Elmore Leonard, who was scheduled to appear, passed away last August without seeing the final cut. Writer/director Danial Schechter was there for the Q and A.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't have seen a movie starring Jennifer Aniston, but she was pretty good in this.

As you know, I won tickets to the Filmmakers Party.  We had a bountiful feast from our local restaurants and the wine and alcoholic beverages flowed.  Maybe that's why we look so happy.

The Patels with their award

Awards were given out at the Filmmakers Party.  It was amazing to see winners so happy and excited.  Winners and losers alike were there to celebrate!   Meet the Patels won for the best documentary. We saw it Saturday after we'd named our choices.  But this doc is authentically funny, a rare thing these days. Four stars.

Chaz Ebert



Actually, all the docs we saw were exceptional. On Sunday, we saw the documentary about Roger Ebert, Life Itself.  Very moving and inspiring. Roger Ebert's wife of 20 years, Chaz Ebert, was there to introduce the film. She also attended the Filmmakers Party.

After that, I went to a Film School Session on writing Adaptations.  I'm trying to get the juices flowing to write the screenplay for Admissions.  I learned a lot, met the instructor, Leslie Tye, head of Interlochen's screenwriting program.  We made arrangements to meet after the TCFF to discuss the screenplay.  Time to shift gears.

Thanks to all of you for following me or reading my posts.  I've had close to six thousand views during the TCFF.  I'm taking a break now, but I might be back.

No comments: