Thursday, July 24, 2014

Be a Friend, Give Back

Image
Park Place Hotel
I chatted with a neighbor today who is excited about attending the TCFF for the first time.  She's jumping right in there with four volunteer shifts. She's a newbie, so she'll learn as she goes just as we all did. Maybe I'll see her at the Park Place tomorrow for credentials pickup. I forgot to tell her she's getting a Tshirt!

It's hard to keep the different roles straight.  Be a friend, be a volunteer, be a sponsor . . . it's not exactly the golden rule, but it's close?  Every year I sign up to be a Friend because I want an early chance to get tickets for the movies I want to see.  I don't pretend to be a philanthropist, I want those tickets!

There are five levels of Friends, and the price is discounted if you sign up for 2015 before this Sept lst. If you don't have much money, you can get a membership for as little as $40.00.  Oh, and you have to be old. (That's the half-off Senior Friend membership).  You know, when the Film Festival began, I thought everybody was a senior; we have a lot of retired folks up here.  Wouldn't you want to retire to Traverse City?  I think it's fantastic that we baby boomers, the same ones who marched against the war (excuse me, Vietnam conflict), Civil Rights, Violence Against Women, Peace, the same ones who did sit-ins and teach-ins and love-ins--you know, people who know a good idea when they see it and aren't afraid to jump right in.  Yeah, Boomers!! Now we have people of all ages who are Friends, and that is a good thing.

Volunteers at Concessions, State Theatre
People in our community volunteer. I'm doing three shifts this year, giving my time and energy (what is left of it) to the TCFF.  It's a match made in heaven.  I get to work with amazing people, schmooze a little, and feel the vibes behind the scenes.  The Festival knows volunteers are the backbone of our film culture up here, and they like us, give each of us a Tshirt, treats, a free movie or two, a party.  Makes us poor workers feel important. Well, what the heck,we already know we are important!

As a matter of fact, I'm volunteering for the Founders Party this Sunday.  I'll be pouring water (or something like that) for the Founders and Sponsors for this year's TCFF.  I'll talk about what sponsors do and how they do it in my post-party blog post.

Speaking of volunteering,  I'm also doing this blog.  It's unquestionably a labor of love, but I happen to think it enhances the Film Festival.  It is definitely a step in the direction of transparency and inclusion. Ozzy thinks so too!





No comments: