Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The State

Who could have imagined what the renovation of an old theater on Front Street would mean to Traverse City?  The State Theater truly has been a resurrection.  In November 2007, the completely redone State Theater opened; and I witnessed the unveiling of the old jewel, it's beauty restored.  I sat in the comfy plush seats and looked up at the starry-night ceiling, listened to the organ, leaned forward expectantly as the dense velvet curtain was raised on The Kite Runner.  After watching the movie, it wasn't over yet: some of the key people from the film came out to communicate with the audience. I've known that kind of excitement at The State; and I know what it's like to be there with neighbors and friends, sharing the moment.

In Game of Thrones, the HBO series, the introductory credits are set against a chess-board-like map, a tower pops up on one point of the map, then another and another building, gears grind out connections, forming a city, city after city building an empire. Okay, this sounds pretty grandiose for Traverse City, but that is exactly what has happened.  I love the State.  It was that first tower shooting up on the map of the film festival.

I'm old enough to remember when movie theaters had ornate paintings, an organist, and ushers.  My two sisters both wore the outfits with gold cords and ushered at the "show".  The first time I went to a movie, I was about six, hooking up with my cousin, walking to the show, watching the organist's fingers flutter over the keys, snickering at the nearly naked Adam and Eve paintings at each side of the screen, watching the newsreels, cartoons, and finally the main attraction.  When my cousin and I went to the show, we were transported to another world, the cool dark world of the movies. Sometimes we even sat quietly in our seats and watched the movie again.  It was magical.  Traverse City kids know what I mean.

The State originally opened as the Lyric Theatre in l916.  Adult tickets were 25 cents, children 5 cents. The theater has been destroyed by fire not once, but twice.  Coming full circle, last year The State was awarded the number one spot on a list of the 10 best theaters in the world by a national film industries news site. And it's been named by USA Today as one of the 10 best theaters to "watch a movie in splendor." Three words, FAB-U-LOUS.

The State has surpassed every expectation, and unquestionably is the center piece for the film festival. But who could have known how it has become a friend and a neighbor?  Just last week, folks were lined up to see the US Soccer World Cup on the big screen.  It's doors have opened to state televised sports events where friends can root for their favorite teams.  It's the next best thing to being there! The State is there for us whether it's for a beautiful new or old film, for the Oscar Night event, the HD transmission from the Metropolitan Opera, Martin Luther King celebration, fundraisers, exceptional documentaries, kid's free shows, or the haunted theater tour on Halloween.  Ozzy appreciates the dog water dishes on the street in front, doggie treats at the box office window; and when the temp reaches 100 degrees, you can walk in for an air conditioned movie experience for free!  Not you, Oz.

The State is my neighbor, and I love to visit her as often as I can!  Oh, and did I mention she's open year around and almost entirely run by volunteers?  She's showing Chef this week, so I need to walk down there for popcorn and another excellent film.  Unfortunately, its only 65 degrees.

No comments: