Saturday, July 19, 2014

Tickets

Isn't Traverse City just the best!

We'll be at the first outdoor Traverse City Symphony concert tonight at the Commons.  (For those who don't know, The Commons is Ray Minervini's fantasy renovation of the old state mental hospital). When I eat in one of the restaurants, shop there, browse the art in the hallways, or hike the grounds, I feel sad that other communities didn't try to preserve these architectural masterpieces. The Commons is definitely one of the seven marvels, along with the State Theatre, of Traverse City.

While I'm at it, Did you know the old Traverse City State Hospital is the setting for my novel, Admissions?  

TICKETS

Well, there was such a stampede for tickets for the Nauti-Cat movies, it looks like there's going to be a drawing.  People were asked to send a postcard if they're interested (one ticket only). On top of that, over 50 movies have completely sold out, and tickets for the general public go on sale today.  On the positive side, there are 250 films on the roster, so that leaves 200 to choose from.  Some complain (of course) but I think the Festival has done a good job dealing with growing pains.  Well, I guess they were labor pains at first and that hurts!  I should know, I was there when each and every problem reared its ugly head, (and those were only the ones visible to me, a movie-goer.)

I gotta admit, it was rough the first couple of years. I waited in line for (what seemed like three days) in the blistering midday sun to get into the State Theatre to buy tickets.  When I finally dragged myself within site of the doors, my mouth stuck shut with thirst, the new computer system crashed.  Kinks were everywhere like fleas on a dog.  (Sorry, Ozzy). You know, it's bound to happen, ask any IT (information technology) expert.  Heck, I paid a fortune for a kinkless hose and even it kinks! Fortunately for us, the Festival is now pretty darn kink free.  I'll see what they've done this year to smooth out those new little ripples.

The good news is, with the exception of the boat tickets, which I could still get in the drawing since I'm such a deserving person, everyone in my foursome got everything they wanted.  It's so hard to reign in enthusiasm for the films this year.  I'm seeing fifteen or sixteen (I lost count).  Now all we have to do is find the right vitamins to pull this off!

No comments: